Breaking News

FIRST TROPICAL STORM OF THE PACIFIC HURRICANE SEASON

May 25 begins National Hurricane Preparedness Week and we will welcome it with the first named storm of the Pacific hurricane season. Tropical Storm Amanda has formed off the coast of Mexico and could reach hurricane strength in the next 48 hours (by Memorial Day). The storm is not expected to make landfall. Instead, forecasters have predicted it will drift farther west. We’ll keep our eye on it.

NOAA’s Central Pacific Hurricane Center says that climate conditions point to a near-normal or above-normal season for the Central Pacific this year. For 2014, the outlook calls for a 40% chance of a near-normal season, a 40% chance of an above-normal season, and a 20% chance of a below-normal season. We expect 4 to 7 tropical cyclones to affect the central Pacific this season. An average season has 4-5 tropical cyclones, which include tropical depressions, tropical storms, and hurricanes.

Comments

comments

About Malika Dudley

Avatar
Malika Dudley is the Chief Meteorologist and feature entertainment reporter for MAUIWatch. She was formerly the weekend meteorologist and feature reporter for Hawaii's #1 news channel Hawaii News Now. Malika is happy to now call Maui her home. She is a full-time mommy & jewelry designer. Click here to check out her blog “Life’s Swell.”

Check Also

Flash Flood Watch Issued as Flossie Expected to Bring Heavy Rainfall

Moisture associated with Tropical Cyclone Flossie moving into the islands from the east, along with an …