Breaking News

MAYORWatch: Seeking Solutions for Neighborhood Park Partiers

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff.

Question: Thanks for all the interesting letter answering, a real help. I too have a question. My wife and I moved to a place on Kihei Road a few months ago and across the road is Mai Poina Park and its restrooms. About once or twice a week a group of people will show up there and party anywhere from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m., waking us up with loud music and voices. Any ideas about a solution to this ongoing problem would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Mahalo for your question and I understand your frustration. I can tell you that there are penalties for this groups’ actions but it could be classified as Disorderly Conduct, which is at most a Petty Misdemeanor.

If police officers are to take stronger enforcement action, police would need a victim or a complainant willing to press charges or file a complaint. Police cannot be the complainants in this type of offense and without that complainant, they can only remove them from the premises.

Please call the Maui Police Department’s non-emergency phone number at (808) 244-6400.

Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email [email protected]



Check Also

Mandatory Water Shortage Restrictions End for Upcountry, West Maui

The County of Maui Department of Water Supply announced that it is ending Stage 1 …