MAYORWatch: Are Pre-Wedding Photos on Kaanapali Beach Permitted?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff.

Question: My husband has been asked by a friend to take some pre-wedding photos on Kaanapali Beach. Is this permitted?

Answer: It depends. If you are receiving compensation for these photos (as defined by the State Department of Land and Natural Resources, compensation includes, but is not limited to, monetary fees, barter, or services-in-kind), or if you are getting paid to take the photos or sell the final product online or as a print to an individual or company, then YES, you need to obtain a Standard Film Permit or Open and Accessible Film Permit (if applicable) to film on any state property.

The State of Hawaii Film Office has a lot of resources and information on this topic, and helps clarify the difference between personal use and commercial activity. For more information on film permit procedures, click here.

If you have any questions or concerns about the state permitting process, contact the State of Hawaii Film Office at (808) 586-2570 or [email protected]

Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at [email protected], by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask the Mayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email [email protected]



Check Also

Mandatory Water Shortage Restrictions End for Upcountry, West Maui

The County of Maui Department of Water Supply announced that it is ending Stage 1 …