Breaking News

Community

MAYORWatch: How Do I Make a Complaint for Excessive Dog Barking?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: How do I make a complaint for excessive dog barking coming from a house in my neighborhood? Answer: I truly love dogs, but I do know how frustrating it can be when owners neglect their dogs and allow them to bark nonstop outside their home. All …

Read More »

$1M Granted to UH Maui College for STEM Scholarships

Incoming freshmen and current students at the University of Hawaiʻi Maui College pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics may qualify for three- or four-year scholarships made possible by a $1-million National Science Foundation grant to the college’s Project Kaihuwaʻa. The program aims to increase the academic success of low-income, talented students and improve overall retention, graduation and transfer rates. UH Maui College’s Project Kaihuwaʻa faculty will select …

Read More »

Maui Humane Society to Hold Kitten Baby Shower

The Maui Humane Society will hold a Kitten Baby Shower on Saturday, March 2. The Kitten Shower will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Maui Humane Society and will include information about how to foster baby kittens during the upcoming kitten season. Attendees can meet some adorable kittens as well as see and participate in bottle baby …

Read More »

Couple Spearheads Removal of Large Mass of Plastic Along Lānaʻi Coastline

A couple was exploring the coastline of the Hawaiian island of Lānaʻi by boat last week when they spotted a large mass of fishing net and plastic trash washed ashore on the remote volcanic tidepools by a spot called Nanahoa (referred to as Three Stone), known for its three large pinnacles. The Hawaiian Islands had previously seen a few weeks …

Read More »

Maui Economic Opportunity, Inc. Receives Donation of Electric Vehicle for Molokai Orogram

Maui Electric Company and the Hawaiian Electric Industries Charitable Foundation donated an electric vehicle yesterday to the Molokaʿi transportation program of Maui Economic Opportunity, Inc. The car was presented to the nonprofit organization in Kaunakakai, Molokaʿi. On hand to mark the donation were president of Maui County and Hawai’i Island Utilities, Sharon Suzuki; Creighton Liu, manager of Strategic Planning for …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Are There Any Resources for Business Ownership?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Aloha Mayor Victorino. I’ve been working in the hospitality industry for years, but I’ve always dreamed of making a career change or even running my own business. It all seems a bit daunting, though, and I’m honestly a little afraid of taking the plunge. Are there …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Where Can People Dump Old Furniture?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Where can people dump their old mattresses or furniture on Maui? I see them once in a while on the street and in the most random places. You’d think people would know, but I’m pretty sure they just don’t care. Answer: Good question! Our Department of …

Read More »

10th Annual Keiki Tilapia Fishing Tournament set for May 11

Maui Electric and Kā‘anapali Golf Courses invite keiki to cast their poles at the 10th Annual Keiki Tilapia Fishing Tournament on Saturday, May 11, from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., at the Kā‘anapali Golf Course Pond as a benefit for Maui United Way. This “tag and release” event is open to youths, ages two to 18 years old for a …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Are There Any Lifeguard Jobs in Kihei?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I was just curious if there were any upcoming lifeguarding jobs in the Kihei area? I am certified and am looking! I wasn’t sure the best place to look or ask so was hoping you could help! Answer: Mahalo for your question and I’d be more …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Why Are There So Many Vehicles on the Road with Expired Tags?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Why are there so many vehicles on the road with expired registrations and inspections? Safety reasons aside, it is not fair to those who pay to keep their vehicles properly compliant with county and state regulations. Can one expect the new administration to be more vigilant …

Read More »