Breaking News

Community

Local Family and Film Production Donate $35K to Lahainaluna High School

Ed and Kathy Krafchow of Lahaina and TradeWind Productions donated $35,000 to Lahainaluna High School’s media program recently after filming wrapped up for season two of Temptation Island. “I want to let the kids know that we ‘see’ them and we care about them,” Kathy Krafchow said. “When the opportunity came our way to work with TradeWind Productions, we wanted …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What Are the Requirements for a Non-Mobile Food Stand or Trailer?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Can you please tell me what the requirements are for a non-mobile food stand or trailer? Can it be on residential or agriculturally zoned property? Where would I find the specific protocol to begin? Thank you for creating this opportunity to Ask The Mayor! Answer: Mahalo for your …

Read More »

Maui Crime Stoppers Recognizes Detective’s Efforts

The Maui Crime Stoppers Board of Directors coordinated a Recognition and Appreciation breakfast for the Criminal Investigation Division at IHOP in Kahuilui on Friday.   Criminal Investigation Division Captain Clyde Holokai spoke about the two detectives receiving the Award. Detectives Dennis Clifton and John Surina. “Both Detectives have demonstrated extreme professionalism, diligence, dedication and perseverance in working some very difficult and high …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When Will Shower Restoration at Mai Poina Park be Completed?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: We are wondering when the shower restoration at Mai Poina Park in Kihei will be finished? The shower looks like it is almost complete. Mahalo for your time. Answer: Thank you for your question, and staff at the Department of Parks and Recreation confirmed that the contractor for this …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Does MPD Investigate Cell Phone Use in Accidents?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Since driving and using your cell phone is illegal in the State of Hawaii, does the Maui Police Department investigate this aspect of an accident? More and more drivers still continue to text, talk and use their cell phones, and possibly become distracted, so it seems this would …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Who is Responsible for the New Sidewalks near Haiku School?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: The new sidewalks near Haiku School are lovely, but who is responsible for the maintenance? The cane grass and weeds are all growing over the sidewalks. Who in the county or state has jurisdiction over easements connected between private homes and the road? Answer: Mahalo for your compliment …

Read More »

Water Shutdown Scheduled for Kula

The Department of Water Supply will be repairing valves between Tanaka Tank and Piliwale Tank in Kula on Thursday, July 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Customers on Piliwale Road will have no water while the repair work is in progress. Polipoli Road customers will not be affected. Call the DWS 24-hour hotline at 270-7633 if a water-related problem occurs, …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When Will the Horrific Road Surface Conditions in Haiku Improve?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: When will the horrific road surface conditions on Kauhikoa and Kaluanui roads in Haiku be addressed? Answer: Mahalo for your question and my staff reported to me that the Department of Public Works has scheduled resurfacing of Kaluanui Road, from Kokomo Road to the Maliko Gulch Bridge, toward …

Read More »