Breaking News

Community

MAYORWatch: Why are Cruise Ships Still Allowed to Come to Hawai`i During the Coronavirus Pandemic?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Why are cruise ships still allowed to come to Hawaii during the coronavirus pandemic? Answer: Mahalo for your question and I also share your concerns. I have urged the federal government to implement a temporary ban on all cruise ships from docking in Hawaii. Thankfully, many of the …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Why are Children Still Going to School with All the Concerns Surrounding the Coronavirus?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Why are children still going to school with all the concerns surrounding the coronavirus? Answer: We’ve been asked this question many times and I think it’s important for people to understand that schools fall under the jurisdiction of the State Department of Education. As you may already know, …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: I Heard Matson is Shutting Down and Won’t have Shipments of Supplies? Is this true?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I heard Matson is shutting down and won’t have shipments of supplies? Is this true? Answer: I think this is a good example of how the community can help discourage rumors and encourage the sharing of official sources of information. All Hawaii Department of Transportation harbors and airports …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Should We be Concerned About Packages or Products Shipped from China?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Should we be concerned about packages or products shipped from China carrying the coronavirus? Answer: There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged COVID-19 and how it spreads. However, the Centers for Disease Control has answered this question to help alleviate some concerns people …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Can the Coronavirus Spread Through Food?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Can the coronavirus spread through food? Answer: Mahalo for your question. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread from person-to-person through respiratory droplets. According to the Centers for Disease Control, there is currently no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with food. Before preparing or eating food, …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Should I Be Worried About My Pet Getting Coronavirus?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Should I be worried about my pet getting coronavirus? Do I need to be cautious around other people’s pets and animals? Answer: Mahalo for your time and question. While this virus seems to have emerged from an animal source, it is now spreading from person-to-person. According to the …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What has Been Done to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus on Maui?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Aloha Mr. Victorino, we would like to know what has been done to prevent the spread of the coronavirus on Maui so far. Mahalo. Answer: Mahalo for your question, and I’d like to quickly remind the public that information on the coronavirus may change at any time so …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: High Cost of Rent and Section 8 Vouchers

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Aloha Mayor! While we are happy the Section 8 assistance waitlist opened up in January, my family is worried about the high costs of rent on Maui and whether the vouchers will be enough. Could you look into this and help explain the County’s process? Mahalo! Answer: Mahalo …

Read More »

New “Stars Over Haleakalā” Night Sky Astronomy Program Series in 2020

The National Park Service invites the local community and visitors to Haleakalā National Park for stargazing during the new “Stars Above Haleakalā” Night Sky Astronomy Program Series. “Haleakalā has long been considered a world-class spot for stargazing, and these new astronomy programs will enable people to learn more about the stars above us and deepen connections to the night sky,” …

Read More »

MEO Announces Return of Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program

Maui Economic Opportunity, Inc. has announced the return of the popular Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program.  SFMNP provides seniors with eligible fresh produce with the goal of improving their health and nutritional status. Qualified seniors will receive coupons worth $50.00 to exchange for fresh, nutritious, and unprocessed locally grown fruits, vegetables, herbs, and honey from Farmers’ Markets in Kihei and …

Read More »