Community

MAYORWatch: Upper Honoapiilani Needs Defined Middle Striping

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I’ve lived in Napili since 2004. I’ve noticed all these years that the upper Honoapiilani needs defined middle striping on the road from Honokowai to Napilihau Street. During the winter months of increased traffic and rain, it’s very difficult to maintain road presence. I know the sides of …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Preying on Free Public Parking in Paia

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: I work in Paia and see people who appear to be homeless directing traffic into and out of the free public parking lot next to the Shell gas station. I have seen a shirtless guy on a bike aggressively telling people where and how to park, and then …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Can the County Help Remove Abandoned Vehicles on Kolu Street?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Our businesses are being affected by abandoned vehicles on Kolu Street in Wailuku. They’re now being stripped for parts. There is one vehicle in particular that has been parked in front of a property for two months. This vehicle is on County property, now being occupied by an …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: How Do We Dispose of Derelict Vehicles on a Property Purchased?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: We purchased a property four years ago and upon cleaning it up, we have found two derelict vehicles.  Purchasing our own home has been a dream and we want to care for our property by properly disposing of the vehicles.  We are willing to pay, but I’m concerned …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: When Will the County Sell the Lots it Owns in Wailuku?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: When is the County going to put up for sale the three lots it owns on Keoneloa Street in Wailuku as a result of the lawsuit about the 30-foot height restriction in the building code? Answer: Mahalo for your question on this matter. In the first few months …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Who Do I Contact to Get an Address Sign on Our Road?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Who do I contact to get an address sign on our road at Malulani Street in Kihei? Answer: Mahalo for your question. To report traffic sign and pavement marking problems on County of Maui roadways, please call the Department of Public Works’ Traffic Signs and Markings Office on …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: How Do I Report a Streetlight That’s Out?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: How do I report a streetlight that’s out near my home? I’m worried it might be difficult for elderly people driving at night. Answer: Mahalo for asking this question because I believe it’s a good reminder for the public. Please report streetlight outages to Maui Electric Company by …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: What is the County Code for ADA Sidewalk Cutouts?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: What is the Maui County Code requiring ADA cutouts on sidewalks, please? Does it include gated communities too? Answer: Mahalo for your question. I directed my staff to research your question and asked for assistance from our Department of Public Works. From what I understand, there is no …

Read More »

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) Re-Opening Wait List

The County of Maui announces it will be accepting applications on-line for its Housing Choice Voucher Program Waiting List beginning at 8:30 a.m. on January 27, 2020 until 11:59 p.m. on February 17, 2020. Applications must be submitted on-line, except in instances of reasonable accommodation. Hard copy pre-applications will only be available by advanced written request to the County of Maui. …

Read More »

MAYORWatch: Is There an Update on the Waiehu Golf Course and Clubhouse?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers weekly questions submitted to his office staff. Question: Are there any updates on the Waiehu Golf Course and clubhouse? Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Answer: Mahalo for your question and I’m pleased to report many exciting things happening at our municipal golf course. The Department of Parks and Recreation completed a $220,000 renovation …

Read More »